Saturday, February 13, 2010

Nommy Nom Nom

Food, oh food.

With the part-time stay-at-home thing happening, I've really been able to get into the kitchen and cook. I've been making blueberry muffins every weekend that last well into the week. This takes care of our breakfast.

I've made a menu the last two weeks that, while not a straightjacket, has kept us fairly on track with eating well and out of the restaurants. We ate an entire box of raw spinach and another giant box of field greens last week. This is a huge stride forward for our family.

Last Sunday, I made a phenomenal butternut squash soup. I first made it for Thanksgiving dinner, and I think it is becoming a family staple. It's very simple:

Peel, seed, and dice one butternut squash (about 6 cups). Finely chop and saute in olive oil one small, yellow onion. Add the squash, 3 cups of water, 1/2 a teaspoon of marjoram, some red and black pepper, and 4 cubes of vegetable (or chicken) bouillon.

You boil that for about 20 minutes, then I use a stick blender to puree it into a thick soup with a block and a half of cream cheese. It's incredibly filling between the protein (cheese), fiber (squash), and fat (cheese again). One bowl will take care of you. We've been munching on yesterday's for three meals now, and it's still there.

This week, I have one cooking mission: I want to use a jar of the sauce I made last weekend, modify my pizza crust recipe to be a little more usable, and make pizza pockets for my family. I had the idea last time I made pizza, but it seemed a bit daunting what with the pizza dough and all. But I made pitas over the weekend (a post for another time), and that process gave me some good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment