Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Three Weeks Postpartum

I suspect I'm moving too fast. There's so much to do, and I'm so exhausted, and I'm afraid that if I let anything go, all of it will go to Hell in a handbasket. Just today, I:

  • Made the bed (HUGE accomplishment given how dearly I wanted to crawl back into it)
  • Sorted through all the clothes in the dresser and made a huge pile for Goodwill and a much smaller pile of cotton tee-shirts to be turned into diapers
  • Folded and put away a load of laundry
  • Took Burgundy's UM Army registration form and fee to the church
  • Went to the midwife's clinic to pick up my copy of the video of Holden's birth (absolutely not! I will not post that)
  • Went to a local yarn store to show off Holden, visited with dear Jordan and Clarice, and ate some damn fine chocolate
  • Attended chemistry tutorials with Burgundy
  • Heated leftovers for dinner
  • Ordered photo prints for Burgundy's science fair project
  • Cleaned up dishes from dinner
  • Washed, dried, folded and put away a load of diapers
  • Washed and currently drying a load of jeans
  • Washing a load of tablecloths, napkins and other random crap
  • Made a giant batch of granola (oh granola! How I have missed you!)
Let us not overlook the fact that the Parasite still wants to eat every 2-3 hours.

Tomorrow, I need to get a hands-free pumping bra so I can pump my excess milk and knit. Not that Holden leaves any milk for pumping. No, he guards his treasured horde of boob juice with a burning, jealous rage. If I try to pump one side while he nurses the other, he squinches up his face so his eyes fold away into the crease across his nose, and he alternates between the squinch-face and a death-glare at the Medela, which continues its swisch-gulp, swisch-gulp, swisch-gulp rhythmic sucking, oblivious to the danger it courts from a fat little three-week-old booby tyrant. And you can see that he's starving, right? I mean, clearly there's not enough milk to feed both man and machine. He's only gaining about a pound a week, after all.

And with that short but tantalizing insight into our fascinating life and times, Holden would have me sign off because he is starving y'all. Wasting away into nothing, while the Milk Lady just sits there and types as though nothing is wrong. It has been two and a half hours, and he is faint with hunger!


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh. He's too cute. I can't stand it!! Great pictures.

    You'll have to let me know how you like the hands-free pump bra. I've always wanted to get one, but never knew how well it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW--it is 11:10 a.m. and I have only made the bed and cooked oatmeal for my kids. Which, hmmm, I guess will be lunch. In other words, you are being amazingly productive! But you are right--don't overdo it!

    And my first thought *seriously* was "who is that teenager holding the baby--is that Burgundy?" And then I realized it was you. You look amazing, refreshed actually, and that is one adorable baby. All boy!!!

    ReplyDelete