Thursday, May 12, 2011

Living the Dream

So it turns out that being a stay-at-home mom really is a dream-come-true. I have to admit, I was afraid that I would be home for a couple of months, then realize I was bored stiff and hated it. That has not happened; anything but.

Here's an ironic thing: I never thought I would derive a sense of personal satisfaction and fulfillment from having clean toilets. I never dreamed that it would hurt me is my husband didn't notice said clean toilets.

Back when I started this blog, I wrote about my housework routines. Well, I'm back at them. During the pregnancy, I was so sick that I could barely function, much less keep up the house. I was surprised and pleased at how easy it was to get back into the swing of things once Holden was born and I didn't feel terrible all the time. Previously, I made sure to make my bed, wipe down the toilet, open and sort the mail, wash, dry, fold and put away one load of laundry, and wash, dry fold, and put away one load of dishes. I've been doing most of these things most days, and I added washing a load of diapers every day.

So far today, I've

  • Made the bed
  • Washed dishes and emptied the dishwasher
  • Folded and put away diapers, started another load of diapers, and washed and dried a load of dark clothes
  • Wiped down the toilets in both bathrooms
  • Checked and updated the grocery list, planning for tonight's dinner.


With a wee baby, it takes me the better part of the day to accomplish these few things, but it's getting better and better. I'm starting to add other routines, weekly things and projects. So today, I'm going to spend 20 minutes decluttering my living room; it's still full of tools, etc, from JB's last visit. He insulated the attic over our bedroom, by the way. Thank goodness!

Right now though, it's time to change a cranky baby's diaper, make my lunch, take us grocery shopping, and go to our Kindermusic class.

Oh my goodness. Poor little guy. I almost feel bad about waking him up to take him out of the bouncer.

3 comments:

  1. Holden is getting so big. What a cutie!!

    I'm glad you're finding being home to be fun and not a complete bore. It's great when it all falls into place and you get into a good routine. Hopefully your little man will let you keep it up once he's mobile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Routines are the only way that I manage to get anything done. I'm a checklist kinda girl, so I use the downloadable calendar from Motivated Moms to keep me going (housework-wise).

    My, my. Your boy is getting big! My little girl turned two today - boo hoo. Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete