Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fond Farewells

Julia earned her Texas learner's permit yesterday. She studied more for that test than most kids do for a pre-calculus test. It was kind of cute. Afterward, she went for a celebratory hair dye job, and now she's a brunette. Before this, she had bleached, white-blond hair, and when she walked in the door, she exclaimed, "Look at me! I'm a darky now!" I had to explain to her why she should not refer to herself that way and why it's an offensive term. Ah the perils of slang in English.

Today is my last day of full-time work. Hopefully for good. I've been wandering around all morning, saying goodbyes, making sure all the work is done, and taking my leave.

I have a short list of things to complete before leaving today, but it looks like I'll be using the same computer at the new job, so at least I don't have to worry too much about saving and backing up my archives and files. Right now I need to go and convince IT to give my recently completed website a new home.

I emptied my desk last week. I brought the company-issued laptop bag with me to return, but since they're making me keep this crappy Dell laptop, it looks like I won't be able to get rid of the bag just yet. This afternoon, I'll only need to bring home two oranges, a cache of Dilbert magnets, a water bottle, and my highlighter pens. I think I'll leave the fuzzy cat calendar.

I made more bread last night, and we had lentil soup with brown rice for dinner with iced tea. Tabby joined us for dinner, and after I made certain that Burgundy had a grasp on her homework, I left with Tabby to finish the Christmas shopping at Voldemart.

Tonight will be very busy. I'm teaching the FPU class on careers this evening, and Mark has choir rehearsal from 7:30 to 9:00 PM. Burgundy will have her usual three-hour load of homework, and I have no idea how or when we'll eat dinner. Oh well, we'll manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment