Thursday, December 3, 2009

Freedom: Day 1


Even though I don't have to work today or tomorrow, I didn't sleep in. Some still-14 part of me threw a little tantrum when I made her crawl out of bed at 6AM. I silenced her with coffee and a slice of homemade bread.

Normally I wake at 5:30 to get ready for work and to drool at the kitchen table until the caffeine kicks in. I gave myself the extra half-hour to snooze this morning because I didn't have to make pretty for the office, but then I rose and dressed as usual. Concession 1 to propriety: I am wearing jeans and a sweater with clean underwear and matching socks and shoes. The still-14 part really blew a fuse when I made her change out of the monkey pajamas to drive the girls to school and Mark to work. Oh well. Hopefully she will [not] survive these traumas.

Yesterday I received a phone call from the first manager I had at the job I just left. She wanted to know when my group planned to have my farewell luncheon. As far as I know, they aren't planning one, so she offered to take me out to breakfast this morning. I thought that was very sweet of her, and it made me feel just a little less sad that we weren't planning a luncheon. I didn't really expect one given all the upcoming holiday parties and all the work to be accomplished this month, but I still felt a little sad.

I'm meeting J, the manager, at 9:00 AM at Denny's. I wanted to take her a little gift, so I'm setting out a bar of the soap (the cabinet it's stored in smells so. darn. good). Last thing before I left at 6:50 AM to take everyone to school and work, I started a half-batch of bread dough and left it to foam while I was gone. A half-batch will make one loaf or four mini-loaves; I made four minis. I've just put them in the oven to rise for 20 minutes, and they should be perfectly done by 8:50 when I need to leave for Denny's.

For now, though, I have 35 minutes to relax. I just burned the snot out of my fingers (I steamed them), but I'm going to get out my knitting and chill. Just after I do the dishes.

2 comments: